It’s almost time for winter break, and what are you going to do with your kids? If it doesn’t seem like there’s already enough drama in your house, why not sign them up for some theater arts workshops with the Metropolitan Performing Arts Academy? There are lots of classes to choose from, for kids, teens, and young adults. Led by industry professionals, these winter break workshops offer students a safe, educational and downright fun alternative to YouTubing or playing 3,000,000 consecutive hours of Minecraft. (Parents: I know you know what I’m talkin’ about, here.) Here’s a look at what your restless kids can do:
- Young Actor’s Workshop, ages six to 12, Dec. 19-21, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.: fast-paced instruction for stage acting, from improv to Shakespeare.
- Musical Theatre Audition, ages 13 to 20, Dec. 19, 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. (ages 10-12 can audit the class): spend an afternoon with Portland’s most sought-after musical theatre audition coach. Learn about the process, how to pick a song, and how to stand out during an audition. Participants will sing and receive personal feedback.
- Monologue & College Prep, ages 13 to 20, Dec. 20, 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.: perfect your monologue for that upcoming theatre or college audition. Delve deep into character work to create honest, believable characters.
- Hip Hop & Waacking, ages 13 to 20, Dec. 21, 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.: to waack means “to strike with force.” This progressive class will include hip hop, waacking/punking technique, stage and camera performance skills, choreography, and freestyling.
- Dance Boot Camp, ages six to 12, Dec. 27-29, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.: students will rotate through a full morning of dance and choreography featuring jazz, ballet, modern/contemporary, hip hop and tap for beginning and intermediate levels.
- Dance Boot Camp, ages 13 to 18, Dec. 17-29, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.: same as above
For more information or to register, visit www.metropaa.org.