The theme for April’s First Friday event in Downtown Camas is “Spring Into History!” a family-friendly celebration of Camas history and the coming of spring, with activities that explore Camas history in a fun way and also welcome spring to downtown. The event, hosted by the Downtown Camas Association, is happening in shops and businesses all over downtown Camas and at the Camas Public Library from 5 to 8 p.m. on Friday, April 7—with s’mores roasting sponsored by iQ Credit Union.
You’ll want to play the “Guess About Camas” history game in participating businesses, which allows players to discover interesting historical tidbits about Camas history. Collect all the facts and be entered to win win prizes from the downtown merchants. Game sheets and the evening’s activity lists can be found at the Downtown Camas Association table in Journey Church (304 N.E. 4th) and at participating businesses. Other activities:
- Two Rivers Heritage Museum will share historic artifacts and photos of Camas & Washougal and will also have items for sale, including handmade rugs made from Pendleton wool selvages, originally woven on its 1890s traveling loom.
- Mill historians will show us why the Camas mill is unique and showcase items from the mill, including videos. You can even make your own paper at the Mill Interpretive Center, 401 NE Adams.
- Book signing for “Lillie’s Jasper.” Meet the author Diane Green-Hartley and hear about the Gold Star Mother Pilgrimage, a little known part of WWI history.
- Art show and silent auction hosted by Friends of Camas Arts at Journey Church in support of the Camas High School Integrated Arts & Academics Program.
- Art shows and receptions at Attic Gallery, Camas Gallery, and Second Story Gallery at the Camas library.
- Ribbon cutting and opening celebration for Rushing Waters Professional Properties.
- Natalia’s Cafe will be “Going Back to the ’50s!” Open until 8 p.m. with special prices: hamburger, fries and a soda for $4.99; hot dog, fries and soda for $3.99; milkshakes for $2.50; and malts $2.99.
- Georgia Pacific toilet paper toss to win paper products as a tribute to the mill
- Taste the candy that was invented the same year Camas was founded
- Donate toward the Hidden Bronze Bird Project and get a chance to win the “Bronze Egg.” Any donation gets a ticket to win prizes; donate at least $5 and pick an egg from the basket—one of the eggs comes with a prize: a dinner, movie, and cupcakes package in downtown Camas.
- Guess the “spring eggs” jar—the closest guess wins a prize
- Kids’ spring crafts
More information on Camas history can be found at http://www.downtowncamas.com/dca/history/. For more complete information about this—and other—First Friday events in downtown Camas, visit http://downtowncamas.com/events-and-festivals/first-fridays/april-first-friday-spring-into-history-2017/ or www.facebook.com/camasfirstfriday.