Explore Mount St. Helens’ scenic wintry areas with the Mount St. Helens Institute and learn what makes this volcano and the Northwest so special. The Mount St. Helens Institute’s Winter Adventures are a wonderful way to explore new places with an expert naturalist guide, Bob Appling. You can even rent your snowshoes from the Institute! You will need to provide your own lunch and transportation to the trailhead. And if you’re looking for an out-of-the-ordinary gift for the outdoor adventurer in your life, gift certificates are available and can be purchased online here.
Participants will learn the basic skills of snowshoeing and cross-country skiing while also gaining knowledge about winter wildlife tracking, geology and biology. In short: it’s a beautiful and educational workout, with hot chocolate at the end. The cost per participant is $45. Snowshoe and trekking pole rentals are available for $15 per participant. (Sorry, cross-country ski and pole rentals aren’t available, so BYOCCSAP—bring your own cross-country skis and poles!)
Below is the complete list of 2017 Winter Adventures, or you can visit www.mshinstitute.org for details. Click on each link for information about registration, and showshoe rental.
- Jan. 7: June Lake Winter Adventure
- Jan. 14: Chocolate Falls Winter Adventure
- Jan. 21: Ape Cave Winter Adventure
- Jan. 28: Old Man Pass Winter Adventure
- Feb. 4: June Lake Winter Adventure
- Feb. 11: Ape Cave Winter Adventure
- Feb. 18: Old Man Pass Winter Adventure
- Feb. 25: June Lake Winter Adventure
- March 4: Goat Marsh Winter Adventure
Above image: hikers near Chocolate Falls. See more amazing photos on the Mount St. Helens Institute’s Facebook page!