The Port of Vancouver USA will host eight public tours this year—two more than last year, due to the popularity of these informative excursions. The free, family-friendly tours showcase several companies that call the port home and provide a mini-education in the maritime industry and global marketplace. There’s always something new and interesting to see: massive ships berthed along the waterfront and cargo on the docks, such as cars, steel, and grain. Tour dates are as follows:
- Saturday, Mar. 5, 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 19, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 4, 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21, 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, June 7, 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- Saturday, July 2, 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, July 19, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 18, 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Public tours begin at the port’s administrative building, located at 3103 N.W. Lower River Rd. in Vancouver. Light refreshments will be provided while port staff give a brief presentation about the port’s 104-year history, current projects and enterprises. After the presentation, guests take a bus ride around the port for a tour of bustling marine terminals and expanding industrial centers. Reservations are required; call the port at 360-693-3611 or email RSVP@portvanusa.com to see which tour dates are available.