What's a good cook to do in the middle of winter, when grocery-store tomatoes are as tasteless as paste? How do you make a zesty seasonal salad when summer's bounty is the merest gleam on the horizion? Well, if you're a master of the culinary arts like Kim Mahan of Class Cooking, you simply use the best of what's available this time of year…and then you share your recipes in class! Mahan teaches hands-on gourmet cooking classes in her artfully appointed teaching kitchen, adjacent to Burnt Bridge Cellars. Class Cooking is located at 110 E. 15th St. in downtown Vancouver.
The next two classes will be held at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 18, and 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 28. The Friday evening class includes wine. The cost is $60 for the Feb. 18 class or $75 for the Feb. 28 class. The fee includes a take-home recipe packet so you can make the salads again. The menu includes five salads:
- Marinated broccoli and cauliflower salad with olives, dried cranberries and almonds
- Sweet potato and wild rice salad with roasted sweet potatoes, apples, currants, and orange dressing
- Shaved fennel and zucchini salad with arugula, dill, pine nuts, feta cheese, and lemon-honey dressing
- Grilled eggplant salad served on butter lettuce with pine nuts, goat cheese, and mustard vinaigrette
- Warm lentil salad served on a bed of baby greens with walnuts, goat cheese, and Dijon balsamic dressing
To register for either of these classes or to see a complete schedule of upcoming classes, visit www.class-cooking.com or call 360-600-8006.