- This event has passed.
Camas First Friday “Spring Into History”
April 1, 2016 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
The theme for April’s First Friday event in Downtown Camas is “Spring Into History!” a family-friendly celebration of Camas history and the coming of spring, with activities that explore Camas history in a fun way and also welcome spring to downtown. The event, hosted by the Downtown Camas Association, is happening in shops and businesses all over downtown Camas and at the Camas library from 5 to 8 p.m. on Friday, April—with s’mores roasting sponsored by iQ Credit Union.
Origami demos, displays, and kids’ crafts featuring Yuki Martin will be part of this event, paying homage to the Camas paper mill and its Japanese sister cities, Hosoe-cho and Taki-Cho. Yuki, who is from a little town near Hosoe-cho, will be offering origami lessons in the lobby of Journey Community Church rom 5:30-7:30 p.m. with a special demo at 6:30 p.m. Origami by Camas resident Rachel Yang will also be on display in Journey throughout the evening.
You’ll also want to play the “Guess About Camas” history game in participating businesses, which allows players to discover interesting historical tidbits about Camas history. Collect all the facts and be entered to win win prizes from the downtown merchants. Game sheets and the evening’s activity lists can be found at the Downtown Camas Association table in Journey Church and at participating businesses. Other activities include:
- Find out why Downtown Camas got cool in the 6os with guest Randy Curtis
- Get “kissed”! (Hershey’s that is)
- Play the Georgia Pacific toilet paper toss (a tribute to the paper mill)
- Art shows and receptions at Camas Gallery, Attic Gallery, and Second Story Gallery
- Liberty Theatre will be showing the “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” 41st Anniversary “Quote-Along” at 8 p.m. for $5
- Book signing at Journey for “Under the Shadow of Your Wings” by Arla Jensen
- Guess the number of “Spring Eggs” in the jar—closest guess wins
- Find out where to find the Camas lily fields
- Take a selfie with historic props
- Wear a vintage hat or clothes and get a free ticket to enter to win prizes from the merchants
- Receive an extra ticket to win for every $10 spent in Downtown Camas during First Friday
- Live music in various downtown locations, including Birch Street Uptown Lounge and all the art galleries
- Special sales, complimentary refreshments, and activities in many downtown businesses