Who doesn’t love pie? The endless combinations of crust (pastry, Graham crackers, Oreo, crushed nuts…) and filling (fruit, cream, chocolate, chiffon, meringue…) provides a tantalizing taste tailored for every palate, especially when finished off with a soft dollop of whipped cream or cool, sweet ice cream. Aren’t you glad that, no matter how bad your day might be, a slice of pie will always make it better? Aren’t you thankful for pie?
The Downtown Camas Association invites you to celebrate your love of pie during Thankful for Pie, the First Friday event happening from 5 to 8 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 4, with a pie tasting contest in downtown shops. Even if pie’s not your thing (and we won’t judge), there are so many other things to see, do, and taste: holiday shopping, dining out, art shows, kids’ crafts, and sipping a pumpkin ale or savoring a seasonal cocktail. Here’s a list of exactly what’s happening when and where:
- Pie tastings in participating businesses; vote for your favorite pie and be entered to win prizes from the merchants.
- Pie walks starting at 7 p.m. at Journey Church, 304 N.E. 4th Ave.; win a delicious pie or other treats
- Pie raffle and kids autumn crafts at the Downtown Camas Association tables in Journey Church
- Gratitude Wreath: pick up paper leaves in participating locations, write one thing you’re grateful for on each leaf, and add your leaves to the Community Gratitude Wreath, which will be displayed in Journey’s window through Thanksgiving. Each leaf earns you a ticket to win autumn prizes.
- Art shows and receptions at Camas Gallery, Second Story Gallery, and Attic Gallery
- Roasting marshmallows for s’mores at the corner of 4th and Birch, weather permitting
- Dance party!